- the sponsors of this resolution consulted academics from Laval and York Universities, investigative journalists, taxpayers’ advocates, a wide variety of research publications; and reviewed recommendations of the Standing Committee on Finance in the report The Canada Revenue Agency – Tax Avoidance and Tax Evasion in preparation of this resolution;
- tax avoidance and tax evasion are direct infringements on fairness as the core principle of taxation;
- fairness in taxation is vital to maintaining democratic cohesion;
- Statistics Canada estimates the cost of tax avoidance due to offshore tax havens at between $6.0B and $7.8B yearly;
- the government estimates that tax avoidance by Canadian corporations and wealthy individuals totals $255B with roughly two thirds attributable to abuse of tax havens and one third to wealthy individuals exploiting tax loopholes;
BE IT RESOLVED the Liberal Party of Canada urge the Government of Canada to continue to introduce legislation to eliminate existing tax loopholes and to recover taxes from offshore tax havens;
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED the Liberal Party of Canada urge the Government of Canada to apply higher penalties in addition to the recuperation of unpaid tax from corporations and individuals and that criminal sanctions be provided for third parties who promote offshore tax avoidance schemes to clients;
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED the Liberal Party of Canada urge the Government of Canada to signal clearly that existing and new legislation will be rigorously enforced to prevent tax avoidance and evasion by providing adequate and stable funding to the CRA.