- a modern integrated Canadian energy grid will enable greater energy efficiency, reliability and affordability for Canadians;
- the creation of a modern Canadian energy grid will be fundamental to supporting Canada’s future clean energy based economy, while also creating immediate jobs needed to complete power-line connections and computerized system upgrades;
- the International Energy Agency has estimated that Canada’s electricity sector will require $250 billion in new investment by 2030;
- a modern integrated Canadian energy grid will enable fossil fuel dependent provinces to transition toward clean energy as a primary energy source;
- mass market adoption of electric vehicles is projected within a decade and Canada will require a de-carbonized modern electricity grid to support the transition away from fossil fuel powered vehicles to meet the Paris Agreement on climate change;
- Canada is working closely with European partners to address climate change while modernized energy grids are a proven and fundamental element of the European Union’s energy strategy to reduce costs and meet climate change targets;
BE IT RESOLVED the Liberal Party of Canada urge the Government of Canada to promote and commit to the creation of a modern integrated Canadian energy grid.